So now the former boss-from-hell is passing on the message (through the best friend-slash-business partner-slash-former coworker) that he wants the company laptop back. Fine, except - hello? What happened to that last paycheck? I don't know which would take more cojones, to call directly and ask for it back, or to ask someone else to ask for it back because you know what the answer will be before you ask. To expect it back at all when you owe the person over $3000 is pretty nervy, or at least lacking in all types of human decency. Not that we necessarily even need or want the thing. But he's not getting the thing back until that money is well cleared through our account.

Richard is not even remotely trying to look for a job. He is, I guess, waiting on God from the sky to just hand one over. I think that the way God answers prayers is to give us the tools we need to improve our own situations. Parents to raise us so we can get a formal education and common sense to survive in the world. Spouses to support us so we can do well at work. Confidence to ask for a raise, knowing that the laborer is worthy of his hire. Not, directly speaking to an employer, "Call 256-555-1001 and ask for Richard. Hire him on the spot." I mean, come on. Send out your resume or something. Try a little. Don't just wait for the company to magically reform, because that next contract is NOT waiting just around the corner.

I like people who are able to make their own way in the world. No excuses, no dithering. Just seeing a path forward and taking it, heedless of the risks and the obstacles in the way. In my household, we often quote that line, "If you're tired of the same old story.... oh, turn some pages." Because what could be more true than cheesy 80s lyrics? (And by the way, August 11 - Def Leppard, Cheap Trick, and Poison? I'm soo there.)