Today I sent out my historical figures swap package. I hope my partner enjoys the items I sent. There's always a risk they won't, or worse, that they send you utter crap that you hate and will never use. Swaps are fun though.

The repair guy still has my sewing machine. It's been a looong time, but I guess he's waiting on parts or whatever. Every time I call, he's mysteriously never there. I think in a way I would have done better to just order the tensioner and install it myself. Of course I have a perfectly good 2nd machine sitting right here. I even figured out the buttonholer on it tonight. But what if IT broke?

I started my Christmas sewing tonight. I'd say what, but if you're reading this, chances are it's for you, so you just gotta wait. Really I should be thinking more about Halloween, but I had the materials for this other project, and nothing for the Halloween ones.

This year, Jax is going as Jayne Cobb.


Wearing, of course, this hat:


Because, of course, when a man walks down the street in that hat, you know he's not afraid of anything. I'm going as Zoe Washburn.


Andy hasn't requested a costume, but for sheer meanness, I really ought to make him be Shepherd Book.


The Halloween party we go to every year is hosted by a couple we worship with. Most people don't dress up, but all the kids and a few adults do. I usually just wear crazy false eyelashes and a strange hairdo, but this year I'm allowing my desire to dress up to fully break free. Why aren't there more costume opportunities for adults? I'm going to have to start doing Civil War reenactments or SCA or ren faires or something, just to blow off some steam.

Of course, if I really had all that sewing time, I ought to actually sew real clothes. I promised myself I'd de-stash by the end of the year, but it isn't going to happen at this rate.

I did ebay a gorgeous 25-yd cut of Waverly fabric, but stupidly miscalculated the shipping so I canceled the auction. I may keep the fabric after all, and slipcover my sofas or something. So much fabric, not enough time to do everything I want to do.

My talent as a sewist is far outstripped by my ambition. Again, a parallel of the rest of my life. Nevertheless, I learn something every time. Eventually I'll have a serger and then I can really get down to business.

Some days my life seems so useless, but I'm pretty happy here in my little vacuum. My only fear is waking up one day and realizing I've missed out on something important, like properly diversifying our retirement portfolio or something.