Ok, I realize that in many countries, people would be grateful to have half the clothing that even the poorest American wears. Still. I recently realized that getting dressed is usually something I do out of necessity, with the goal of comfort, rather than something I do to make myself happy. I love wearing jeans and t-shirts. Every day I wear exactly the same thing: worn-in jeans, a solid-color tee, and New Balance tennis shoes. I feel idiotic in anything else. Even when I go somewhere, I never accessorize because it makes me feel I'm trying too hard. I guess ultimately I don't care so much how I look, as long as I don't scare small children as I pass. Even so, every woman wants to be told how beautiful she is - and even if she's truly not, she still wants to be attractive to her man. I don't take compliments well, and it occurs to me that if I did, I might get more.
Today I have been pruning out the clothes I hate from my wardrobe. Anything that I know deep down looks awful, goes. Anything I feel idiotic in, goes. Andy has watched my growing Goodwill pile with chagrin. "But I LOVE that sweater on you!" Don't care. Ill-thought-out Duro clone - gone! Giant loud stripey turtleneck sweater - gone! It's been very cathartic. From now on, I'm only going to wear what I love, and I'm especially only going to wear comfortable shoes. Except maybe my favorite heels, which kill my feet but make me feel so good in other ways.
With both my machines acting funny I have stopped sewing altogether. Instead, I have begun reading all the Harry Potter books. I intend to finish before midnight on Friday. I started at about 11 on Monday night. I am a third of the way there. I think I can do it. OK, maybe not. I've been actually reading, savoring every word. I may have to start scanning if time begins to run out on me.
Posted by
wakeful dreamer