... leaving my two children at home with their dad and driving to Redstone Arsenal in my SUV, where I took the Lamaze exam on a power-sucking computer as the test administrator photocopied my 4 page registration document and driver's license no less than 3 times because he couldn't figure out how to use the copier.

When I got back home, it was a little hot from having all the windows open, so I lowered the thermostat to 68 and brushed my teeth with the water running. :P

Seriously, today was the long-anticipated exam. I took the seminar in February, and have sort of read most of the study guide and about 30 pages of the "Official Lamaze Guide". I wasn't nervous about it, really - the 8-hour-long MCAT marathon, which I did twice with great results, spoiled me for ever being nervous again about any test ever. Except maybe the NARM exam I'll take in 5-6 years or so. Anyway, when I realized I was at the halfway point, I looked at the clock. Fourteen minutes. I did 75 questions in 14 minutes. Either I aced it, or the Lamaze folks will personally call me and tell me I am such an idiot, I am not allowed to retake this exam ever.

I think I did ok. Now I am in a hurry to have my name listed on the Lamaze site so I can hopefully get some students and recoup the $1K I have spent pursuing this certification. I mean, seriously. The seminar was almost $400, plus three nights in a hotel, plus restaurants every meal, plus $180 for the required study guide, plus $200 for the exam AFTER the discounts I got for Lamaze membership and seminar completion. I don't count the books I bought because they were all general knowledge references that I have used both to prepare for Lamaze and as a doula as well as for my own births.

Anyway, I had planned to start teaching in two weeks, but - look, Ma! No students! Not surprising since I really haven't done much to get the word out. I started a CBE blog, In Due Season. And I put up a whopping 1 flyer. I know that childbirth education is a valuable resource, and that there are still plenty of couples willing to take classes - we took them for 12 weeks, 2.5 hours a week, at $250. They weren't even particularly good classes by the standards I now know, but I still feel that was $250 well spent. I can just imagine what a really GOOD class can do for a family's birthing experience. Hopefully after I obtain my certification, students will come my way and/or I can justify spending more $$$ on marketing my classes.

One other funny thing: I was very stressed out about getting on to Redstone to take the exam. I totally was not thinking this morning when I got up and looked at a Redstone map for directions. Seriously. The last government installation I was on, I had a badge and a car decal, so I could come and go as I pleased, and usually did. The last time I was on Redstone was in 1997, and back then, they let anyone on and off freely. I felt like an idiot when I called to confirm the building number and the lady was like, "We're going to have to come get you." Uh, oh yeah, I forgot about that whole 9/11 thing. :| Then when I finally got on site, I had to wait 45 minutes with nothing to occupy my brain but worrying and watching Kathie Lee and Hoda - yuck! At least my escort was super-nice and fun to talk to.

Oy, what a day. Big weekend ahead, too. Then next week, I am getting my house super-sparkling clean and doing nothing else but crafty things. No working, no studying, no emails and phone calls and the other busy work that sucks up my time. I might even get to scrapbook, or make these earrings I've been thinking about.