My day started with a sick, teething baby and a husband shaking me awake asking where are all his khaki pants. (Answer: dirty clothes hamper. Oops.) It's improving, though.

Oh my, I'm feeling pictorial today. Pictures I've taken recently that I love:

These are of my garden in Piedmont. This year I only have the perennials because we're just there 2-3 days a week. I really miss them! They have been gorgeous this year, especially my daylilies. I realize that Stella D'Oros are reliable rebloomers, but it's a shame that it's the only variety you see when there are so many other, more beautiful species available. I don't know what these are called but they are my favorites.



Coneflower. I have two and they are both covered in huge blooms right now. Next spring I'll put some around the power box thingy in the yard up here.


It needs some TLC but this is the view out my bedroom window, of the backyard fence. One of the first things I do every day there is look out to see what's blooming. I have a clematis trained along one side of the fence. The blooms were beautiful but I was disappointed it didn't grow more. My calla lilies bloomed right after this and were gorgeous for about a week until the beetles got to them. Woo, the lamb's ear looks rough.


This is Jax playing with modeling clay. We got out my clay tools and spent most of the morning playing. I love that he enjoys arty things as much as playing ball. I want him to be well-rounded.



This was what Imri did while we were playing: sat in the high chair. I intermittently held her, of course, but she is getting old enough to amuse herself for a few minutes at a time.


And this is what she did today. I put her on the bathroom counter for a minute and she began playing in the mirror, cooing and kissing her reflection. (My mom has a picture of me at about that age doing exactly the same thing.) Risking her life for the sake of a picture, I ran to get my camera. It was worth it to me. Being up there against two mirrors confused my autofocus like anything, but I got a few good ones.






So tonight my parents and brother are coming for dinner. I am giving them a chickpea ragout, couscous, tabouli, pita, and hummus. And for dessert, coconut cake and (for those freaks who don't eat coconut) regular birthday cake. No candles as I don't want the fire department getting involved.