So finally I am taking the time to sew again. It is an important part of my life that I have missed very much over the last few months. I was able to pick it back up after we moved, but shortly thereafter my walking foot broke so I can't finish my huge UFO pile until I replace it. Imri's baby quilt? She might get to take it to college with her.
I started by making Jax a sling for his tiger Jeremiah. He sees me wear Imri almost daily and so of course he needed to do the same. For safety's sake (not that I'm hyper-protective, but hey - you never know) it closes with velcro instead of rings. Turned out sooo cute.
Then my next project was Simplicity 2892. I KNEW I should have cut an 8! Still a cute top if I can decide what to do about the sleeves. It originally had puffy sleeves. I hate puffy sleeves anyway, and also they make my other half say, "I like your sleeves. They're real big." So I hemmed them with the intention of their being flutter sleeves. Now they're real big flutter sleeves, and still prompted the Napoleon quote when Andy saw it. Instinct tells me to shorten them considerably, but I may add a band or elastic to them instead. Hmm.
Today I'm making Ottobre 3/2009 #3, a tiny blouse for Imri. It has tiny pockets and yes, puffy sleeves. I hope the stripes work out. I plan on doing matching orange capris with pockets trimmed in the tunic fabric. Imri's best colors are really pink and brown (as in, everything she has for this summer) but orange sets off the red in her hair. I don't care if orange is so two seasons ago.
Tomorrow I'm making her some tiny five-pocket jeans and a pair of brown linen capris. I really want an embroidery machine. Yes I know, I said the serger was the last machine I'd ever buy. I didn't mean it. Little girl jeans nowadays have elaborate embroidery down the legs. That would be so fun to do! Alas. It may be years before even the HINT of a 4th sewing machine doesn't make Andy's head explode. I'm not even going to bring up the blindhem machine I've been eyeing.
Posted by
wakeful dreamer