So today I had letters to mail and no stamps. I went in the post office and there were easily 15 people in line. (Back home, the post office had signs that said, "Service in 5 minutes or less" - ha! Not here.) I even had to wait several minutes for the machine. Finally I paid for my two sheets of stamps and the machine spit out.. one. Le sigh. I looked at the sheet for a long time, trying to figure out if they were stuck together or folded or what, but no. One sheet. And now the Postal Service owes me $7.82 or whatever.
So I get in this horribly long line for a clerk, with my two kids and purse and a baby doll and my receipt and one sheet of stamps. And I wait. And wait. Finally I got to talking to the woman in front of me who as it turned out had graduated from Piedmont. So we talked about Calhoun County stuff for 20 minutes, and finally - yay! My turn!
So I bebop up to the counter and I say, "I was really trying to save time, and I ended up having to wait anyway. I only got one of my two sheets of stamps." And the very nice lady takes my stamps and receipt, and goes vvvvvvhp! And lo! My TWO sheets of stamps were indeed stuck together. And she says, "See! You waited for nothing!"
I will never show my face in that post office again.
Posted by
wakeful dreamer