I know that I got into all kinds of marital trouble over it, but buying my serger was such a good idea and I'm so glad I did it. It's a Babylock Evolve - 8-thread, coverstitch, air threading, does everything but wash my Jeep.
I don't mind telling you that I paid $2500 for it, as my spouse has told everyone he has come into contact with. It has been like in the Steve Martin remake of Father of the Bride, when he was telling everyone - the grocery store workers, the policeman - how much his daughter's wedding was costing him. Andy told them at the bank, the grocery store, everyone at church. Oh well. I think he's starting to get over it.

Anyway.

So that thing is a dream. It threads like a dream. It does things I could never do on a regular machine. It absolutely flies - especially in comparison to my inherited 1983 Kenmore. Anyway, I love this thing so much and wish it did zippers.

Since I got the thing, I have been sewing up a storm. I figure that whatever I want to sew before the end of the year, I better do it now. I don't see having a lot of time to sew with a three-year-old and a newborn. (I never was good at simultaneous nursing and sewing.) Thus far I have churned out a ton of tiny dresses, shorts sets, you name it. That Ottobre subscription has been worth every penny. I've been sewing for myself too, of course. Kids' clothes are just so much more rewarding at this point.

Next up is the thing that I actually bought this serger for - baby-sized underwear. One frustration that I had with Jax was that regular underwear just didn't come in his size. With the next one, that shouldn't be a problem.

It seems that every moment I'm not actually sewing, I'm thinking about sewing. We're moving into the realm of obsession, but at least it keeps me out of trouble and off the streets.