Today I had a nice surprise in my mailbox: The Weepies, sent to me by my mom for no reason at all except that she loves me. It's a good day when you get a box from Amazon even though you know you haven't ordered anything because you have no disposable income. I was really touched. My parents are big on the "just because" type gifts, and I am too.
I totally understand the thrill of giving someone something just to make them happy. I think I was pretty good to my last secret sister, for example, but it was easy. She's a very stylish woman, so I was able to give her lots of purses and pins and scarves and other accessories that were fun to design and that looked really good on her.
We recently re-drew names, though, and my new secret sister is going to be sooo hard to gift. She has no hobbies that I know of, and if I give her anything even remotely related to anything I've done before, the gig is up. Plus she seems to be a non-purse woman. I like purses, I love to sew them, and I like to change my bag frequently. But some women just carry the same black vinyl compartment purse until it falls apart, and she seems to be one of those.
Not that I'm knocking that mentality. That's the way I feel about my hair. I don't have the time to think about it, so I let it go uncared for until it has a crisis. But I don't know what to do with someone that I can't sew or craft for. Hmm. For Easter, she may just get a wreath, or if I get really lazy, a trumpet lily.
Posted by
wakeful dreamer